Hybrid Toilet System Nonflush Pedestal
A Brief Outline of History, Design and Construction
You will notice when looking at the shape of the opening of the pan that it departs somewhat from the standard design that we are used to in everyday life. This shape is a result of years of observation of standard flushing toilets and drop style pedestals.
We also considered another style of pan, "The Squat", used by the majority of the worlds population. The first problem we saw with some existing drop toilet bowls is that they present a very fearsome looking large hole which small children do fear, with justification, and adults approach with caution. Secondly, other existing bowl designs present a large surface area, which can be constantly soiled, foul smelling, and unpleasant to look at.
With these thoughts in mind we set out to combine as many features of the different designs as possible to provide a more functional unit. The end result, as can be seen, is a Pedestal, which after much in-house and in-field testing, is a product which, while it departs from the norm, provides the following features:
- Absolute minimum surface contact area which greatly reduces soiling.
- A bowl shape which, in our opinion and that of many others, is vastly more appealing to look at.
- A shape which when performing all the normal bodily function provides more than sufficient room to not contact the bowl surface.
- A hole size which will allow only smaller objects to pass through the opening. We have attempted here to provide a practical balance between safety, aesthetics and function.
- The bowl itself is manufactured by the Roto-moulding process, which provides an extremely durable product and is able to accept repeated abuse without shattering and cracking, thus creating dangerous sharp edges.
- The material of choice is a Roto-moulding grade of Polyethylene, which is fully UV-stabilised and has an anti-bacterial/anti-algae agent chemically compounded into the plastic material. This additive is designed to hinder bacterial growth, not totally eliminate it.
- In countries other than Australia, we have utilised a squat style of pedestal which has been successfully adapted to the Hybrid Toilet System.
We are continuing to develop and test new models of toilet pedestals for use in Australia and other countries of the world. There is much to be learned and we have some rather interesting ideas we are trialling.
* Also available in stainless steel.
Hybrid Toilet System Dropper Tube
The dropper tube is an integral component of the system and performs a number of functions:
- The obvious primary purpose of the tube is to direct the waste into the primary tank of the system.
- The tube provides an extremely durable product which will remain operable for the life of the system.
- The tube isolates the waste from any possible contact or interference from humans or animals.
- The tube has no moving parts, thus no maintenance and requires only limited cleaning.
- The tube also forms part of the venting system with the air being drawn down the pedestal opening, through the tube, into the primary tank and exhausted out the vent pipe.
- When looking down the tube, the function of the recess in the front of the tube is for both aesthetics and as an anti-splash plate.
- The bottom flap's primary purpose is as an anti-splash device and its secondary purpose is for aesthetics.
- In combination, these flaps and recesses provide a dark tube which limits light entry into the primary tank.
- They also block from the view of the user the floating waste in the tank below.
- This shape of the tube has been developed as a result of extensive testing and trials at our different test sites. These tests were performed both in-house in our own operational test unit and in the uncontrolled environment of a number of National Parks.
- Where units are to be installed in high set buildings, dropper extension lengths are available.
- The minimum dimensions which allow the correct assembly of the dropper tube, toilet pedestal and tank are shown in detail on each general arrangement drawing for all unit sizes.
* Also available in stainless steel.